Lately we are obsessed with The Carrot Seed by Ruth Krauss. We read it over and over. We read it inside and outside, on the potty, on the couch, everywhere. I came to thinking what I could make that had to do with carrots, and found this carrot muffin recipe on Super Healthy Kids. I modified them a bit per some of the comments and they turned out great! My little gardener loves to help!
Carrot (Seed) Muffins1 Cup Flour (1/2 white, ½ whole wheat)1 Cup Whole Wheat Flour3/4 cup Brown Sugar
2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp cinnamon
1/2 cup applesauce
1 tsp vanilla
1 cup carrot (about 4 large carrots) pureed with 1 banana
1/4 cup wheat germ
1/2 cup chopped walnuts
A bit of milk if they look too dry
1. Cover the carrots in a microwave safe bowl and steam for 2-3 minutes.
2. Combine carrots, vanilla, applesauce, eggs, banana in blender until liquid forms.
3. Mix the dry ingredients in large bowl.
4. Mix all ingredients until moistened. Add milk (or water, or apple juice) if it looks too dry.
5. Bake in 350 oven for 20 minutes or until cooked through.
Even though these were great, they were a little dry. I think I would do 1 cup white and 1 cup whole wheat flour (instead of 1/2 and 1.5) and increase the applesauce to 1 cup.